These lists are not meant to be exhaustive, but a few of our members helped compile some ideas for questions you might want to keep in mind when choosing a Prosthetist. The first question is aimed at things you might ask the Prosthetist, and the second question is aimed at what you yourself should keep in mind during the interview. Please feel free to comment with additional suggestions.
What questions should you ask a Prosthetist during an interview?
(1) How many patients with a [insert your amputation level] amputation have you fit?
(2) Do you pay for referrals from a doctor?
(3) Are you certified? Through which organization?
(4) Where did you go to Prosthetic school?
(5) Why did you decide to become a Prosthetist?
(6) What do you do when you have a patient with a residual limb that’s extremely difficult to fit?
(7) How long have you been doing this?
(8) On average, how many patients do you work with per year?
(9) Would I be able to get a hold of you if something were to happen on the weekend?
(10) Can you tell me about some of the highlights of your career while working as a Prosthetist?
(11) What’s the average age of your patients?
(12) Do you have much experience working with patients who have other health issues going on in addition to their amputation(s)? Do you keep in contact with a patient’s team of doctors when this is the case? If not, are you willing to do so?
What questions should you ask yourself when choosing a Prosthetist?
(1) What is my gut feeling?
(2) Does s/he seem to respect me?
(3) Does s/he treat me like a child?
(4) Does s/he dismiss my concerns?
(5) Is the office warm and inviting? Could I stand to be here for long periods of time (we all know this is inevitable)?
(6) Do I get the feeling that s/he will be capable of putting my needs and wants before his/her own convenience?
(7) Does it seem like s/he understands and appreciates the goals I’ve set for myself? Do I believe s/he will help me achieve those goals?
(8) Do I trust this person to do what is right for me?
Roach Bait Burlington says
Superb blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any community forums
that cover the same topics discussed in this article?
I’d really like to be a part of online community where
I can get opinions from other knowledgeable people that
share the same interest. If you have any recommendations,
please let me know. Bless you!
You may find the Amputee Coalition’s facebook page a good place for these types of discussions.